Fee information. Click here for eligibility details (opens in a new window).
£93.00 Half fee of £49.00 available. Course symbols: CL
Create a selection of wedding designs developing creative skills with hand-tied bouquets, corsages, church flowers, headdresses and shower bouquets. Flowers to be purchased weekly by students at a cost of £10-£25.
No entry requirement - beginners welcome. Learners with some experience will be shown more detailed designs.
What you will learn
Learners will cover a selection of wedding bouquets, button holes, church arrangements and table displays.
You will learn how to identify a selection of plant material, plus the conditioning of them.
Learners will gain basic knowledge of the principles of design and recognise and use the different mechanics and various techniques.
Constructive feedback will be given at the end of each session.
Health and Safety in the workplace will also be covered.
How you will learn on this course
This is a practical class with hands-on experience. Each week the tutor will demonstrate what is required of the learners. Advice is given on the materials required and individual advice and guidance is given.
How you will be assessed on this course
1. Identify a range of plant material.
2. Demonstrate working with a range of tools and equipment.
3. Demonstrate working with the correct wire when making buttonholes.
4. Design a corsage to show proportion and a return.
5. Demonstrate a simple round table posy showing balance and focal areas.
6. Design a simple wedding arrangement to produce a balanced shape when viewed from all angles.
7. Design a pedestal shape to show movement throughout the placement of flowers.
8. Make a headdress demonstrating the importance of using the correct wire and tape in order to give a secure attachment of headdress to frame or comb.
9. Design a hand-tied posy which demonstrates a spiral effect for the stalks.
10. Demonstrate the importance of a good binding point to secure plant materials.
11. Make a wedding bouquet with one third to two thirds length proportion in a holder demonstrating a balanced shape .
12. Make a simple handbag or pomander using leaves and pins adding flowers to show good balance.
13. Design and securely attach a string/ribbon handle for bag or pomander.
14. Have a basic knowledge of the principles of designing and colour.
15. Have a knowledge of Health and Safety in the workplace.
Qualification and exam information (only for courses leading to a qualification)
What you will be expected to do outside your lesson time
Students will need to buy flowers/foliage each week.
What you need for your course
Learners provide their own materials for this course, e.g. flowers and foliage. Advice is given on purchasing these. The tutor will be able to provide oasis and wires at a small cost.
The cost for each weekly assignment will amount to between £10 and £25.
What you need to bring to the first class
Notebook , pen, scissors, small tablecloth, one rose and one carnation. The tutor will provide foliage at a small cost for the first lesson, together with tape and wires.
What you can do next
Please see brochure/online for more floristry courses.
At the beginning of the course, you will have an induction to the College and the course. Your tutor will ask you to complete an Individual Learning Plan (ILP) and agree your personal learning goals.
All documents are a requirement of the Funding Agency.
All students on courses funded by the ESFA must complete a Learning Agreement and ILP.
3 Sidcup High Street,
Sidcup, DA14 6EN
Nearest Train Station: Sidcup.
Buses: 51, R11, 233, 321, 492
Limited parking on site, behind Waitrose and Travelodge turn right into St Johns Road and please park in the designated LECB space. Nearest public car park Grassington Road, entrance by Morrisons.
For further details of parking, please refer to https://www.bexley.gov.uk/services/parking